The long-span single-story building for aircraft maintenance is the main building in the aircraft maintenance area. According to the aircraft maintenance volume and maintenance project requirements, the hangar's floor layout, building height, and structural form are different as well. The building plan will be based on the following factors:
- Simultaneous maintenance of aircraft type and quantity, maintenance items and the degree of maintenance required;
- Hangar structure height and plane layout requirements and restrictions;
- Hangar door and crane, working platform setting requirements in the hangar;
- Machine maintenance Requirements for the configuration of fire protection facilities inside and outside the warehouse;
- Site conditions and development trends.
Structural form: The plane layout and height requirements of the hangar are relatively special, which directly affects the structural form of the hangar. Due to the large span of the hangar, the structural self-weight (mainly the roof system) accounts for a large proportion of the total load. If the structural self-weight can be reduced, significant economic effects can be obtained.
The steel structure has the advantages of high strength, light weight, small cross section, welding ability, and simple manufacturing process. Therefore, it is common to use steel structures as roof load-bearing systems in large-span structures, such as Beijing International Airport Hangar
The spatial structure system is well-stressed and light in weight, and can solve problems that cannot be solved by some planar structure systems. Space structures such as shell structure, grid structure, and suspension cable structure have been widely used as roof systems for large-span buildings, such as London Airport
- Hangar is mostly built in the flat and open area, for the aircraft needs the long and flat runway to take off and landing. Hence, the steel structure hangar is natural fit for the requirement, because the construction of this building requires only a very simple foundation, and will not result in the construction waste.
- Fast-installation The installation of the steel structure hangar only requires the bolts and rivet to connect, which is very convenient and efficient.
- Economical: The construction cost for such buildings are not high at all compared with the concrete and brick buildings.
- Environmental-friendly: The installation and the recycle for the building will not produce the construction waste, which will be environmental.
- Leakproof, anti-seismic and fireproof.